Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Jay and MollyAnn's Garden Year Two

As soon as we found out we were expecting, Jay started talking about how he was going to grow a garden with our baby/toddler/child/teenager every year. So last spring, Jay tilled up a section of our backyard and once he got everything ready and the plants laid out he took MollyAnn out to the garden to get ready to plant. He soon realized that a 12 month old was not much help in the garden, and to tell you the truth was a little bit of a nuisance. She would pull leaves of the plants he had planted, and she actually pulled a couple completely out of the ground! So I was called out to the garden to watch over and try and keep her from destroying the plants. I explained that maybe in a few years she would be more excited and helpful and he said, "yeah, maybe next year".

Everyday, when Jay would get home he would get MollyAnn and they would go water the plants and pick the fruits of "his" labor. Jay even studied up on canning and we had pickles, pickled squash, homemade pepper sauce all year long. By the end of last summer, we had eaten so many tomatoes that I really don't think I bought many tomatoes this past winter.

So this spring came around, and Jay was so excited that MollyAnn was older and he just knew she was going to be such a big help planting the garden. He took her out there and they started and she helped for o I would say about 5 minutes. Then it was off to less productive things. She does still help him water the garden and she does help with the picking and cleaning. She eats as many tomatoes as she can while she is helping daddy clean the veggies, just like last year.

But just like last year, I am sure when it is all said and done, she will not be any where near by when he has to pull all the plants up and clean the area.

I have posted two pictures of Jay and MollyAnn washing off the vegetables shortly after picking. It is pretty cool to see just how much she has grown.





No comments: