Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Can it be done?

I still remember a conversation that Jay and I had about a week into being home, after MollyAnn was born. I was taking a much needed bubble bath while MollyAnn was either in someone's arms or in the bouncey seat right next to the bathtub, not really sure-most of the first 6 months is a blur. Anyways, Jay asked me if I thought I was going to like being a mommy? I kind of felt bad and felt like I was about to burst into tears or throw up, because so far...it didn't seem all that great and I was tired and a nervous wreck, ALL the time. But I answered with a "Yes"....and then followed it with, "I don't know how you get ANYTHING done with a baby to take care of".

Well, here I am 27 months later and still, I do not have the answer to this question!

On Saturday and/or Sunday mornings, Jay will normally get up with MollyAnn and I get to sleep in until like 8 or 8:30. Anyways, when I get up Jay will have fed Molly, cleaned up after breakfast, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher and pretty much anything else that needed to be done. When MollyAnn is outside with Jay on the weekends, it seems like he is so productive. Where am I going with this story? Well, I have decided that I had become a little lazy and just started using MollyAnn as my excuse for not getting things done. I do get the regular cleaning and what not done, but anything extra and over and above, no that never seems to happen. So, I decided that it was time to get back in gear and do something!

I have decided to start small. My first task was to get the front flower beds weeded. This means getting down and pulling them, because of the ground cover we have in the gardens (I would just spray the weeds, but it would kill my pretty ground cover). So, yesterday after MollyAnn's nap, we both got rubbed down with sunscreen and headed outside so she could play in her water bucket and with ALL the other obscene amount of toys I had pulled out and I could weed the flower beds. Yeah right! I got my gloves on, but I don't even think I ever even touched the dirt! This morning I decided to try again. I did get some done, but still not the whole thing. And now it is nap time, which would be a perfect time if it wasn't 1 pm and the front of the house is in direct sun at this time.

I guess I am not really asking a question. I am just blogging about this to make myself feel better. For a while now, I really have felt like I had become lazy...but I am starting to believe what I have been saying is true, and that is, that it is harder to try and get something done, than actually getting it done. And when I start something, I have to quit right smack in the middle of it and end up not even cleaning up after myself. Hence, why my gloves are in the next door neighbors yard next to the dirt that the kids were playing in.

I know, I know. Maybe I should do these things while she is sleeping. But what do you do when your child needs less sleep than you? I require sleep...MollyAnn is just like her daddy and really sleep is not really a necessity! So, I am in bed shortly after MollyAnn goes to bed, and I am woken up by her around 6:30am on most mornings. Jay is an early riser and for a short while I would get up when he got up. But now he gets up even earlier..4:40am to be exact! Aint' no way!

I guess one day I will figure it out..and when I do, I will blog about it and maybe it will help you to!

1 comment:

Leigh McKibben said...

I completely relate! The only way I get anything done around our house is if I let E "help" me. She thinks sorting laundry and washing dishes is a game, but if I don't play along, then NOTHING would get done. I have even gone so far as to buy her a toy vacuum and her own broom. You do what works, you know?